Sow Some Veg Together - Confuse A Carrot Fly !!

Some people say ts a good idea to plant Carrots , Onions and Leeks "together " to confuse pests and bad insects and confuse the carrot fly

I have 4 foot wide beds so do they mean plant them individually in a bed next to the others OR sow all in the same beds which to me seems stupid

Advice please Friends

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,233

The theory is that you alternate 2 rows of onions, one of carrots, two rows of onions. the onion smell is supposed to confuse the carrot fly. I must have intelligent carrot flies, because it didn't stop them. 18 inch high barriers of fleece or polythene work better.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 798

Thanks FB

I cant see why carrot flies dont evolve so they catch on !!

I used polythene barrier this year and it worked

Stick to what works.If it ain't broke, don't fix it.imageimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

I've always grown alternating rows of onions and carrots and didn't have any problem with carrot fly for over 20 years until the last 2 or 3 when damage has appeared and steadily increased so it's barriers for me too next year.  Now they are present my normal crop rotation doesn't seem to help at all as the pupae overwinter in the soil so the emerging adults don't have very far to fly.  Lost 2/3rds or more of my crop this year to the little blighters. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

From my limited experience of allotmenteering I would say that the unusual weather patterns recently have helped the little blighters to survive

I will use polythene sheeting again

I have spread horse manure on the beds ( not at home of course ) which may have an effect of the pupae

I have rotated my beds again and by choice I will grow onions , leeks and carrots next to each other

This is more complicated than being married !!

Verdun......As usual brilliant advice and its recorded in my Lottie Notebook already

Thank you

I wouldn't put manure on the bed you are growing carrots in. It will make them fork.