Digging out Monbretia

I cant dig out the monbretia in my borders which took over this year as I want to grow other plants any advice welcome

• Verdun

Thank you for the quick reply Ill have to get a man in todo this job 

would nerine lillies be the same

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Hello Joyce.  I am still trying to get rid of mine after several years but I think they are finally giving up.  Do as Verdun says and when you see new growth perhaps slide a trowel down the side and lever a clump out.  They are a pretty flower but I find they flop about over other plants and that is why I wanted to get rid of it.  Good luck.  

• Thank you Forester 2

I thought they would have come up easy now its going to be a job I cant do as it will affect my back and  dont want anymore problems this time of year 

• Thank you again for the advice

I hope everyone has a lovely christmas and a healthy new year 

• Did you say Lucifer was restrained Verdun?  Mine move themselves where they want to be and multiply faster than I can deal with!  There are few friends that haven't been given a clump.  But they are stunning in flower.  There are some delightful smaller varieties though which don't threaten to overrun the garden, like Emily Mackensie and Mistral.

The old orange ones stop flowering if they are congested but shouldn't be too difficult to lift and remove - they are not deep rooted, just persistant.

Sounds like a job for the scouts in bob-a-job week Joyce!  Best of luck.