Forum home The potting shed

winter solstice 2013 Saturday, December 21

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

I love the winter solstice, it is my wedding anniversaryimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,574

Many Happy Anniversaries Gilly image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Thank you Dove............image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I've got friends coming over later for a drink; I think I shall tell them that they have to dress as Druids with greenery around their heads to celebrate the return of the sun. I suppose that is why we bring green stuff like holly into the house at this time and also why we feast, it's all pre-Christian, from a time when there might have been a genuine fear that summer would not come. Of course, dealing with British weather, that could be a very sensible concernimage But I am not deterred, I shall be planting Aubergines and Peppers in late January. Starting them off in the house and then when germinated, out to the moderately warm greenhouse.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Thanks Verdun. I'm readyimage

The "New season" is now upon us! image

Can't wait! image

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

cut my holly today and give her a good mulch of compost as a thank you image

• Can't remember the exact wording, but it is said that the cold weather only starts after the winter solsticeimage  & I read somewhere that the coldest day of the year is often 19th January.

Still got to wait until early Feb for the back garden to see a glimpse of the sun.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,574

Ma always says that if it doesn't snow at Christmas it will snow for my birthday - almost the end of Jan - it's usually does image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh