winter solstice 2013 Saturday, December 21

Which means... Its going to start getting light again, WHOO!

I know we have to get through Januaryimage But I start annual sowing again the end of Februaryimage. Trays of French Marigolds on the windowsills, dwarf sunflowers and lobelia.

When is the earliest you start sowing and what do you sow. I know the Fruit and Veg lot get sowing early, but what are the earliest flower sowings?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

Depends what the flowers are Mark. I've sowed the ones that need sowing fresh and will sow some others that need a chill after Christmas.

Winter solstice  approaching. Hebe 'Midsummer Beauty'  flowering

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Nut, I've just been out to have a look and there are; lobelia, pansies, roses, gypsophila, a perennial type of Allysum, some tall strange nameless papery flowers that I bought at a fete this summer, and probably some others lurking at the end, all in flower. I'm sure that isn't normal for this time of year.

Mark, I share your feelings about it starting to get light again!image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

We always do a new year's day flower count, artjak. Numbers vary between none (or hidden under snow) and 40 or 50. It all depends on the weather in the lead up time. Looking good for this year.

• Hi artjak

Those papery flowers are they these? helichrysum, They are my fav.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,188

I start my first batches of flower seeds off first week of Feb - only have 7 seed trays on my heated propagator, so have to get the first lot going to have room for a second, and even third batch.  So not long now ......

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

Mark, Artak, I love those too - just checked my pics and I last grew them 12 years ago, so time for a reintroduction!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi Bob

What a great display! They are not all helichrysum's are they? Can you name the ones in your picture for me please.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

I'm fairly sure the dark centred ones are all mixed Rudbeckias Mark but am not sure about the short all-yellow ones at the bottom right.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • OK, thanks, I'll check out those Rudbeckias

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Mark1963, you are a genius; no one else amongst neighbours and friends has been able to name them. They are such good value, they just keep on flowering. I assume they are annuals?image