christmas parcel

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

I did a price comparison with the post office and one of the carriers today, 2.5KG parcel

£12+ for the PO and £5+ for the carrier. Am I allowed to say which carrier? I don't work for themimage 

I don't think the post office want the business

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,881

I came to that conclusion. I sent two parcels,identical size, one week apart. One cost £5.50, the other £15. It seems it depends on who is on, as to how much it will cost. If I am going to send stuff out again, I will set up a courier account beforehand.

When I was in today they had a largish  parcel size shown that is apparently £3. So why did a tiny parcel cost £5.60 a month ago?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,381

We had a leaflet through the door from Royal Mail the other day saying that the size of 'small parcels' was going up - it seemed to be imminent. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think the size limits on a "small parcel" have gone up but the weight bands are the same - if it weighs over 1kg you may find cheaper options elsewhere. I respect the Royal Mail and like to support it but I have recently resorted to a certain popular courier firm who will collect from our door or from a named "safe place" and will do the same at the other end - and it's tracked.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Green Magpie - will the couriers you use collect if no one is 'in'?  Is the safe place somewhere quoted on your premises?  Royal mail recently added new small parcel dimensions with 'wide and deep', but they have lost out a lot to couriers.

• please do nut - have spent a small fortune at the PO this Xmas and am not happy image

maybe write it in code!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

I used Hermes, all  organised on line. weigh it yourself and print a label. Like the PO there are things they won't carry but it's all very clear on the website.

2Kg parcel, Peterborough to near Cardiff. £12plus at PO, £5.10p Hermes. For a bit more I could have had it collected from my home. you deliver it to a parcelshop. I think most of these are in local convenience stores. Mine was nearer than a PO.

I had mine sent to my granddaughter at home but I think they can deliver to the parcelshops as well to await collection. 

I was well impressed

I took it in on Tuesday am and my son says it's just arrived

• That is impressive! Was that a Collect+ you used then?

I sell bits and pieces on eBay and am finding it much harder now that the PO has upped its chargers - this I'll be checking out Hermes from now on - thanks for the tip!

Cheapest rate Jess, I could have paid more for collection from my place and insurance