Sports personality

Hi all,  Can anyone explain to a simple soul as I, how the powers that be at the good ol' BBC knew to have the award ready to present to Andy Murray who was in Miami? whilst everyone else was in Leeds. 

Okay, he might have been an odds on favourite, (not in my book) but just imagine how much egg on faces had the public voted otherwise, which is how it is supposed to work. It looks to me very much like the Strictly Come Dancing charade (No, I don't watch it) where they pretend the Sunday show is live & have the audience change places & the "stars" change their attire, whilst talking about "last nights show" blah blah blah. What a sham. Or am I seriously missing summat!!!

Cheers (tongue in cheek)

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

When did the voting stop?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,381

Well, this is the explanation http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524526/BBC-criticised-cutting-Andy-Murray-won-Sports-Personality-Year-Award.html - I should think that he was odds on to win so they had to have some sort of 'cover all contingency' and it is a live show - I'm constantly amazed at the smooth way these things work, but there's always likely to be a small amount of human error creep in - far better than to go back to the bad old days when everything was stage managed and rehearsed to within an inch of it's life and then pre-recorded 'just in case'. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I know I will probably upset some people (as he won the tennis after goodness knows how many years) but I would have thought to win personality of the year you needed oneimage  sorry peeps image

• Ok, really sorry, bad joke.image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I agree with you Star Gaze. As far as tennis goes he's a good player. But he'll never be first in the queue to be a commentator or generic show host that many others get to look forward too when they retire!

• The "voting" only started after the 10th nominee was introduced & finished minutes before the "decision" was announced. So total voting time was approx. 50mins.

@Dovefomabove, thanks for the link, mystery sorted. I love the tweet from his, (Murray) sponsors Adidas. They posted a snap of Andy with the caption:  ‘Not bad for a man with no personality.’

• They must have read my mind!!

Gsdf, I do like strictly,  but I do agree with you. The voting is not fair, I really hope that Susanna whatshername, doesn't win just because its the bbc.

Verdun you get my vote image

• Maybe an elephants foot cake?

I can imagine you as a boy with catpults and worms in your pockets. Socks round your ankles, a cap back to front, muddy knees and face and grin as if butter wouldn't melt. Am I close image