Forum home Talkback

Plant identification

Does anyone know the name of this flowering shrub shrub  please?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Could it be a form of Datura?

• Thank you for the suggestion, I  will check it out, I have been trying to identify it for weeks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,235

I've seen datura/brugmansia with blooms yellow at the top changing to red, but not the other way around - that doesn't mean that they don't exist.  But the leaves look a bit too thick and leathery/glossy to me - more like a camellia leaf image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ive just checked and dont think it is a datura but thank you for responding.

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147

definately not a Brugmansia. the first name I thought of was Cuphea but it's not that.

I've come across it before and can't remember the name

• It started to flower about six weeks ago and is still producing buds. It is evergreen as there are no signs of the leaves dropping or changing colour. I must admit it is quite a mystery, I bought it at a flower show in Suffolk but lost the label in transit. When the buds appear they look like small acorns.

Thank you for the responses so far

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Correa backhousiana x reflexa   "marions marvel"

An Australian plant suitable for conservatory. needs winter protection.

• Thank you, it is still outside so I will make sure I put it in the conservatory 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Check for scale insects before you bring it indoors. If there are any, they will increase rapidly in a conservatory. Then put it out again for summer (basically treat it like a lemon tree.)