Dr Hessayon quits writing

I'm just reading my weekly gardening magazine and read with great sadness that Dr David Hessayon is to stop writing his wonderful gardening, 'Expert' books.

He says the reason is nobody reads gardening books anymore and that people can Goggle what they need to know.

I for one think its sad that our great men and women of gardening think they have nothing more to offer because of the internet.

Surely the two can live side by side, I need the garden book to read and re-read and then I need the internet, e.g. You Tube, to show me the procedure.

If your reading this Dr, please don't give up writing, we still need you in book, Kindle and I-pad format! You have so much more to tell us!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,248

I couldn't do without my books. Internet is Ok but books will always have a placefor me.

On the other hand Dr H must be nearing 90 and deserves some retirement

• Hi nutcutlet, 

I think its a wake up call for all of us to value our pro-gardeners and support them through media sites, book and DVD sales.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,248

I value books by garden writers that can put over information clearly, like Dr H and those who can write, like Christopher Lloyd.

I don't value those with half a page of large print saying how pretty it looks, a glossy photo and a celebrity name on the cover

• I'm going to be on the look out for Margery Fish books about cottage gardening mentioned by Carol Klein on Great British Garden.....the other evening. They sound right up my street. I love a good gardening book or two or three!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,932

I haven't many books by Dr H but flick through The Veg & Herb Expert regularly..

I have heaps of cook books but The Garden to Kitchen Expert by Dr. H is fab because it focus's on stuff grown in the garden without the need to buy lots of extra ingredients.

Sad to hear he's not going to write anymore but what he has written will inspire people for years to comeimage

• I always use his indoor book on plants its been so informative and easy to use.image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Dr. H's book on veg is my bibleimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,757

Artjak - check your PMs image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • His Fruit Expert is the bible for me. Without it I would know nothing at all about my apples. It was fromthis book that I picked my latest tree "katy".