Forum home The potting shed

Get thrifty

• Use old dark coloured sweatshirts or fleeces to line hanging baskets.

Use kids dark coloured cotton tights cut into strips to make plant ties that streach.

Recycle old plastic bins or wheelie bins, place next to a water butt and syphon water from the butt into the bin.

Sue

• Use supermarket cream cartons as mini propargators.  Punch holes in the base, fill with compost and sprinkle with seeds. Place transparent lid over.  Remove lid each day to wipe off condensation and replce.  Remove lid completely as soon as green shoots are seen.

Kathleen Harrison

• Just GilesJust Giles Posts: 17

For anyone like me, living in the cold north and therefore growing everything on windowsills, if you've run out of trays, cut off the bottoms of 2L drinks bottles and stand pots in these.

• I have bought wooden step ladders (at car boot sales for approx £3) and use them as climbing frames for my sweetpeas or climbers.....and whilst waiting for the climbers to grow, they have a plant pot on top with flowers in to give a little interest.

• I have planted my baskets up and the birds have since been and have taken the edges of the baskets for nests and now the water pours out. So as not to disturb the plants so much I have had to cut up inch strips from an old one to now place around the edges.  I have also added a small clear plastic bottle without the lid on and the bottom cut off into the basket.  I now water through the bottle.  This ensure that the water stays in the basket and feeds water to the roots of the plant.  This has made such a difference to the conditon of theplants in the basket. 

• go to the coner in your local garden centre were all the plants that are nearly dead are find some plants you like and remember don't judge the plant by what it looks like if you can find a bit of the plant which is still alive theres a chance that you can neure it back to life these plant are normaly cheap and the garden centre is happy to let them go.

• Don't put hole in the bottom of plant pots etc put them up the side, the water doesn't run out of the bottom and it stays wetter longer. The deeper your pot the higher the holes. I hardly ever buy full price plants and always try to get cuttings from anything I buy. I got 40 petunia's for 30p recently. Just needed a water. I do wish the tv programme would show some 'on a budget' gardens, it is very extravagant and well beyond my pocket and although Monty Don is good I do miss Geoff and his cheap ideas.

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 179

I find vinegar makes a good weedkiller on paths and patios, the value supermarket brands cost around 30p i put in a spray bottle and spray on weeds, they die off in about a week. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Same here local poundland - hanging baskets seeds - 6 varieties all germinated and now outside in baskets ( 6 ) Also Wilkies plant sale - acer orange dream was £1 - bargained them down to 50p it's now a handsome specimen in the garden .