Forum home The potting shed

Get thrifty

• I have kept my old bath tub and before winter filled it with the year old compost from my black plastic compost bins and all the tired compost in containers. Mixed it up and left covered in foam carpet underlay over wonter. I just uncovered it today and gave it a stir and it is teeming with lovely worms. Once tipped onto the garden there will be room to tip out all the kitchen compost from over winter and off we go again.

• A seasonal Easter tip here - if you are a lover of hard boiled eggs, why not try this little trick - once you have finished your scrummy egg, plant up your seeds in the empty egg shell - once they have matured a little, then can then be popped straight into the ground - the shell will break down and provide nutrients to your plant as it does so - win win!  image

• adniladnil Posts: 1

In times of drought - after washing up, pour your washing up water on your garden and water plants.   The washing up liquid will not do the plants any harm.

• Eddie JEddie J Posts: 108
    Jufi wrote (see)

Love what Eddie J has done, just wish I knew where to get scrap Oak. 

Here you go, another cheap project.

One simple curved oak bench that measures approx 8' long x 16" wide x 4" deep. Total cost £25.00 The squirrel was simply carved out from more scrap oak.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/603/dscf2823v.jpg

• TaskerTasker Posts: 29

Always have a gardeners eye for reusing seeming useless items, to date I have

1) Reused the wooden slats from an old venetian blind as plant labels, plus the control wand as a plant support and the strings for tying back. 

2) Large thick plastic ice cream pots now double as plant pots (They just needed a few holes drilled through the base for drainage).

3) Old decking boards leftovers from a friends decking project made a great raised planter (check the internet for raised bed plans if unsue how to do this) or alternatively scaffold boards can be brought cheaply from reclamation yards.

4) An old double glazing unit recycled, the glass taken out of the white upvc frame work and used to make the lidded top of a cold frame. The timber side walls were originally from an old shipping pallett that I carefully pulled apart.

5) Save seeds for replanting the following year - Several excellent guides on this site alone.

• Pinkshoes wrote (see)

I use an empty, washed out plastic milk bottle as a scoop for putting soil into plant pots.

Instructions - turn the plastic bottle upside down with lid on. Cut a slant edge from the bottom.Hold the handle and happy gardening image.

Nice one!

Don't forget to use the bit you have cut off by cutting it into strips which make great plant labels!!

• I use the polystyrene trays from the fish & chip shop to place between the plantpot and the planter, for when they stand in the greenhouse through the winter.Helps keep them warm.

Also old washing up bowls with holes drilled in, for planting shallow rooted salad crops ie lettuce, radish, etc as my veg patch is small and space at a premium.

Old tights legs are great for tying things up as theres lots of elasticity, and they don't cut into stems. Can be used complete for the hevy stuff or cut into 1inch strips for the delicate bits.

Of course bits of polystyrene packing in the bottom of pots instead of crocks as this cuts down on the weight.

• Foil take-away cartons (thoroughly washed) - either with holes in for seeding trays, or without used as trays for seeding pots on window sills allowing plenty of water to be added from the base. The circular ones are the perfect size for 6 small decomposeable pots.

• I have some tall pot holders that look nice but are too tall for the shallow pots of herbs I put inside them. I use old corks in the bottom of the pot holders to hold the shallow pots up. Corks work well because they have natural anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. And while we're on the subject, that's a very good reason for preserving natural cork oak forests.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

• rodgrodg Posts: 3

Instead of purchasing expensive potato growing bags for your patio, use Ikea bags.Punch drainage holes using a paper punch and use in the normal way. They are much more colourful and at 40p each will probably last just as long. I intend to use them in my greenhouse instead of plant pots for my tomatos and peppers.

Rod