Forum home Talkback

Talkback: How to protect plants in winter

This Autumn I bought a greenhouse. I have tried to insulate it with bubble wrap but can't find a way to keep it on for more than a day. HELP!!

V

val b

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,281

If it's an aluminium greenhouse you can buy special clips that slot into the framework through the bubble wrap and hold it up.  If it's wooden then you can staple or pin it it to the frame.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I find it easier to just insulate the plants rather than the greenhouse, although in my case I only have my container lilies and fuchsias to protect.

Stand the pots together then wrap bubble wrap and/or fleece around the whole lot.

I am hoping that the perennials that I have grown from seed this year will be OK just sitting on the greenhouse bench until I plant them out in Spring.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,281

Wrapping plants with bubble wrap reduces ventilation and encourages rotting.  better to insulate the pots with bubble warp and the plants with fleece which breathes.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I suggest you super glue (or screw to wooden greenhouse) the square electric trunking to greenhouse side on. Then push bubble wrap in to the trunking. You can remove bubble wrap and leave the trunking in place.

Tip: get trunking slightly smaller than wrap that way it is a tighter fit, unless you double up bubble wrap.
  • I just ducktaped the bubblewrap together to make a solid covering over my greenhouse. If you get a decent seal then it usually stays tight. Ground pegs hold it all to the ground. It put up with the high wind we had recently just fine.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,072

Val, just checking that you are fixing it to the inside, yes? image  If an aluminium greenhouse, use these clips to hold the bubble-warp to the slots in the frame:

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/super-alliplugs-pid7615.html

you just push them through the bubble-wrap and twist to lock into the slots in the aluminium frame.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • obelixx wrote (see)

Wrapping plants with bubble wrap reduces ventilation and encourages rotting.  better to insulate the pots with bubble warp and the plants with fleece which breathes.

Thanks for this useful info' Obelixx. I have never been sure about how much of the pot and the plant needs insulating (roots/foliage or both).

I will re-arrange my bubble wrap and fleece as you suggest.

• I also say not to wrap pots and never wrap any part of a plant as that is a one way ticket to rot. I pin bubble wrap to the wooden surround in my GH with tacks. It helps stop any condensation from dripping on the plants as it tends to build up behind the bubblewrap.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Thanks for all the info on insulating a green house, must do it next year.image

• MeggaMegga Posts: 9
    I followed other gardeners advice and insulated my greenhouse with bubble rap it was easy as I have a Cedar Framed GH so using drawing pins to hold in place was quite easy to do.