Forum home Talkback

what is this tree

I thought it was a type of willow but I'm not to sure now

what is it

James

• A bit hard to say from here James - can we have a pic of the whole tree so we can see it's shape?  Even then, without leaves/flowers/berries we may be stumped imageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,354

and an in focus pic of the branches and buds would tell twisted willow from hazel. 

Or some of the leaves that might be lying underneath it

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Is this better

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,433

Branches look a bit contorted. Would it be a contorted willow? What were the leaves like?

• You're probably thinking of the twisted willow - doesn't look quite right to me - but without seeing leaves .................. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I can see some green bits there but I can't get them in focus. Is this your tree James?. 

• The shape of the crown (or what we can see of it) looks wrong for a twisted willow to me, but I may well be wrong - there's always the exception to every rule .... 

• Here we go better photos

I thought it was a whispering willow but twisted willow may be it's real name ??

• Yes, twisted willow - now I can see the whole thing the shape is more typical, and the leaves are right image

Yep, twisted or contorted willow. Their both common names for it.