Forum home Talkback

what is this tree

I thought it was a type of willow but I'm not to sure now

what is it

James

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,294

A bit hard to say from here James - can we have a pic of the whole tree so we can see it's shape?  Even then, without leaves/flowers/berries we may be stumped imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,556

and an in focus pic of the branches and buds would tell twisted willow from hazel. 

Or some of the leaves that might be lying underneath it

• Is this better

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,156

Branches look a bit contorted. Would it be a contorted willow? What were the leaves like?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

You're probably thinking of the twisted willow - doesn't look quite right to me - but without seeing leaves .................. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I can see some green bits there but I can't get them in focus. Is this your tree James?. 

The shape of the crown (or what we can see of it) looks wrong for a twisted willow to me, but I may well be wrong - there's always the exception to every rule .... 

• Here we go better photos

I thought it was a whispering willow but twisted willow may be it's real name ??

Yes, twisted willow - now I can see the whole thing the shape is more typical, and the leaves are right image

Yep, twisted or contorted willow. Their both common names for it.