Wild mushroom bought at market stall, are they safe?</a>.

Ok I havent actually bought them yet, but there is a market stall that sells wild mushrooms picked from the New Forest. Is there anything specifically I should look for to ensure they are safe to eat, or should I assume that the person picking them knows what he is doing?

Just dont want to get sick on the basis of 'free range' mushrooms.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,050

lf this is a regular stall with an estabIished supplier I would be happy to buy them.

If you are unsure you could ask the stallholder how long the picker has been supplying them, and if there have been any problems.  You could ask for names of people who regularly buy from this supplier and follow these up - I have eaten mushrooms gathered by someone I didn't know but who was recommended by someone I trusted who regularly ate mushrooms gathered by him, but as in all things,  caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/articles/born-to-be-wild

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

There is only one person licensed to pick mushrooms for sale in the New Forest.  Anybody else that is doing is acting illegally!  It is OK to pick for your own use, but not to sell. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,020

It took me years to get OH to try any mushrooms,  he was poisoned as a child. We are allowed supermarket mushrooms in labelled boxes now.

• I was told if you can peel it it's safe but I know very little about wild mushrooms

James

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,050
    CluelessGardener wrote (see)

I was told if you can peel it it's safe but I know very little about wild mushrooms

James

Afraid that's a load of hooey James, some very poisonous mushrooms peel well - who told you that?  Are they trying to finish you off? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think it was my grandad ?

I never pick mushrooms only cook and eat them from the supermarket