Forum home Plants

Potted ponds in Thailand

2»

• I have a small garden with one water lily plant 4 newts plus a water feature.My only problem is keeping the water clean.I have tried various soluble cleaners plus straw bails,no joy,i shall have to empty it and try again. Any ideas?

• Try watercress, retired70eric. It helps remove algae. Just get a bag from your local supermarket and pop a bit in water, to encourage it to root. Then pot it up in soil-based compost in a pond basket, and top with a layer of stones. Gently lower it into your water feature and see what happens.  It should take a few weeks for the water to achieve a happy balance, but you should see an improvement. Fingers crossed.

Kate

• I do have a pond approx 15`x6` x 3`+ at the deepest point. I too have birds bathing at the shallow, sloped end of the pond. Especially when birdbaths were frozen solid. I watched 1 blackbird for more than 10 minutes, with 2 others waiting their turn - there is room for several birds but blackbirds really do not like sharing! 

I will try the watercress and see if it may clear the plant intruder - its not algae which can be removed. This is small frilled plant. The only thing that kills it is icey weather. I can hose it away but it soon grows back and can get up to 1/2" thick on top of the pond. I t is a shame because I have lovely Koi who were friendly until the weed arrived. It must be dark for them too.

As to retired70eric.......are you trying to keep the concrete or plastic clean? Not really possible or natural. Leave the water to settle, to keep replacing with "clean" water just makes the natural balance impossible. Try a sachet of pond probiotic or similar? Good luck. I nhave had frogspawn a few years in the big pond. I remove this to a small pond as the Koi will eat it and then the tadpoles. I have newts in the smaller pond, they like the leaves at the bottom. They use a rough plank of wood to get out, as do any frogs that get in. 2 or 3 years ago I rescued frogspawn [as it would have frozen that very night] and raised 134 froglets [short version!] in a 4 x 3 fish tank. We learnt a lot about tadpoles and froglets over the 6 - 8 months. The diet varied as they morphed ending with live crickets and mealworms. It was quite something seeing a little froglet leap 6-9 inches at a cricket bigger than itself!! They were moved to a redundant aviary, fed for a few more weeks and then gradually escaped through the open door.