Shredder

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,435

We bought this one in August 2011 apart from a new blade last month it's been very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001123CCO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn, thats the one I have, bought it in 2008 and its great.

I sometimes have to open it up to clean debris around the blade, especially if some green stuff has passed through it as it can clog it up. Stick to dry brown stuff and its fab.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,108

We have this one too. Not as good as their original one, but better than any of the other makes of this type.

Professional petrol driven ones are better still, but very expensive and for a normal size garden, not worth the effort.

• Thank you all, yes I've been looking at Bosch, they seem to be very popular and effective the AXT23 TC and 25 look excellent but very expensive, will look into this one, thank you.

• There seem to be two types. The Bosch above has a spinning blade to chop/slice the branches etc, therefore its best used on dry/brown stuff otherwise it will clog up. The other type crushes them, and is perhaps better for moist/green stuff.

I store freshly cut stems etc to dry them out before putting them through the Bosch.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,355

Not making a recommendation, but I've found mixing dry and green when shredding helps minimise clogging.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,690

Yes, KT53, all types clog if too much fresh grren stuff is fed in.  An ideal mix for composting is 80 per cent dry/twiggy and 20 percent green, so that's how I mix stuff as it goes into the shredder.

Mine is an Alko impact shredder (that's the type with blades) and about 15 years old.  It's only on it's second set of blades.  The design is such that stuff goes straight through and it looks very similar to the one Lyn posted.  Wouldn't be without one as I have hawthorn and wild rose hedges and shredding is the only sensible way to deal with the prunings.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks guys really appreciate your comments.

• ... also looking at a new greenhouse, mine is very old and a number of windows blew out in a freak weak a year ago, older style and size.  The difference in prices are so far apart, it makes for a very difficult choice.  The Rhinos look excellent but unfortunately way outside my price range.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,355

lynn17.  You will get more response to the greenhouse question if you start a new thread.