Anemone Coronaria

Beguiled by the beautiful photos of these beauties in Sarah Raven's catalogue, and helped by sale prices and a 20% off voucher, I bought 100 corms (20 of each in 5 different colours).  I was thinking of planting them in a mild spell this week or next.  Sarah recommends soaking them overnight, but are they going to survive frosty and snow covered ground for weeks on end - as we have been promised up here in North Yorkshire - or will they just go mouldy?

• LynLyn Posts: 8,374

I have just planted mine, and soaked for a few hours though.

Usually, anything that is sold at any given time,can be planted when you get them,

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • Which part of the country are you in, Lyn?

• Apart from the times that they flower, is there any difference in numbers of flowers and impact, between planting in late Autumn or waiting till Spring?

I live in a very exposed part of Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor 960 ft above sea level, always windy and cold and snowy in winter.

I dont know about planting in the Spring, i always go on the fact that they sell them now,  so can be planted now. I have also planted the Blanda species too.

Maybe someone else will have some knowledge on this?.

• 60 down, 40 to go.  I finished planting for the day in the dark. Hopefully I have spaced out the corms fairly well, but they aren't the easiest things to see against the earth, are they?  image

They are very small, they are also quite small when the flower, i put mine 4 inches apart in little groups. Not too deep, i watched Monty plant these once, he just scratched the soil up  then put a mulch on top.

• I'm worried that I may have planted mine too deep at around 3-4"  Will they still come up? And if I'm supposed to mulch them that would mean they have even further to get to the surface.  

Also I am wondering if anyone else on the forum has grown these, and whether they have mulched them?

• I finally got the last ones in yesterday.  Should I mulch them?  If so, would strulch be ok?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

I don't have much success with these. I thought it might be because they get thrown out with weeds but I wonder if I planted too deeply. I can't remember how deeply, I haven't tried them lately.

I don't know what strulch is

•  

nutcutlet wrote (see)

I don't have much success with these.

Well that's encouraging, nut  image

I don't know what strulch is

It's an organic mulch made from straw: straw + mulch = strulch image

It's widely advertised in garden mags, nut.  You could google it to find out more about it.