Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant named holly

Hi

i am looking for a plant or shrub with the name Holly.  Our dog recently passed away and we were thinking of a plant that was named holly would be nice to remember her by.  I know we could buy a Holly bush, but we thought that there may be some other choice.

Hope someone may have some ideas.

Thank you

James

• AliPAliP Posts: 64

Hi James,

I think finding a plant with the name (cultivar) 'Holly' could be tricky.  Other than the obvious Holly (Ilex) you mentioned, the only other plant with holly in the name I could think of was Sea Holly (Eryngium).  With so many thousands of plants out there you would have thought it might be easier!! Ali

www.alisonpike.com/blog/

• Hello James,

Ali is right, sea holly is lovely, and easy to buy from an online nursery. Have a look at some varieties here from our plants section, and you can also compare it with good old traditional holly, or Ilex crenata, japanese holly.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/search/name/holly/

I hope you find something you like,

Emma.

gardenersworld.com team

• DWBDWB Posts: 5

Why not get something that is spectacular around thee date of your pet's death, to cheer you up and remember the good times? Or something that smells great like sarcococca which smells of honey in Jan-Feb?