Daffodils sprouting

Hi, I planted some daffodils a few weeks ago now, (can't remember exactly when, but I saw a few posts on here saying it was time). Now they have already begun to send up shoots. Is this normal? is there anything I need to be doing for them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,892

Hi Thomas - It's perfectly normal and they'll be fine - nothing you need to do for them - except look forward to Spring and enjoy! image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Yes perfectly normal, they are very hardy, so sit back and look forward to the spring display.

• yeah! thanks! looking forward to them already!

• LynLyn Posts: 8,110

The cold winter will slow them down a bit, if you are worried, you could put some more soil on top. Did you plant them a good depth in the ground.?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,113

I saw some little pots of tete a tete in flower for sale yeaterday.  Very pretty, even if they have been forced in a greenhouse. I guess they will be picking daffs on the isles of scilly in about 3 weeks.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,110

I remember when there where daffodil fields in Cornwall. Now mostly on Scilly.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • My sister lives on Cornish/Devon border, and always has daffs for Christmas

• Planted them roughly double the size of the bulb deep. maybe some a little shallow as they are in pots. put them on top of a little bit of gravel too like Monty don said in GW a while back.