Alcofrolic fruits for Christmas

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,628

Several of us make Sloe Gin but there's lots of other celebratory uses for fruit at Christmas.  

I've made some Raspberry Vodka which is a lovely snifter, and even better poured over ice cream image

I've also made some cherries in brandy in the past - deliciousimage.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for alcofrolic fruits for next Christmas, if not for this?

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Apricots in brandy were a favorite with my parents, we had to watch Dad didn't have too much image

I'm not a big fan of alcohol with fruit, other than in trifle.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Collect blackberries in the autumn and put them into some whisky. Leave for a month or two, drink the whisky and use the blackberries in desserts.

I have had damson gin, that was tasty.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

KEF, I'm not crazy about gin; could I put damsons in another spirit?

• BiljeBilje Posts: 378

I have a good Merry Berry Brandy recipe, among others! A pound of mixed summer fruits from the freezer, a pound of sugar and an ordinary sized bottle of (Aldi ) brandy. I have been known to use Aldi frozen fruits. Mix together in either a Tupperware type container, a Kilner jar or as I do a well cleaned 4 pint milk container. Shake regularly ie daily at first until sugar dissolves, keep somewhere dark and shake regularly. Just before Christmas strain into a jug then bottle, use fruit in the base of the Boxing Day trifle!!. Enjoy the brandy at your leisure. I'm just finishing last years it's yummy! I usually start mine mid October. I have set away Damson Vodka but it isn't ready yet so can't comment on taste

Artjak I don't drink / like  gin. I was given this by an old chap who knew that.

He wouldn't tell me what it was until later. It was lovely as a liqueur. I imagine vodka would be okay to use. In all honesty it had no taste or smell of gin. Hic, hic image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,628

Bilje that sounds delicious - I might even like the trifle image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Redcurrant vodka. Redcurrants, vodka, sugar, large screw-top jar (catering sizes of pickle jars work well). Put together in September, shake a few times until the sugar is dissolved. Decant just before Christmas.

Sounds luscious - we must make a note in our diaries to bump this thread up next soft fruit season image

I've just remembered a Polish colleague telling me about dissolving those Fruit Sour Sweets in vodka - apparently it makes a good Vodka martini, although I've never tried it.  Just thought I'd mention it as I remember her saying it only takes a few days to dissolve the sweets image