Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buying a Greenhouse new / used

PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Hi am new to the forum and like to say hi to all members image and looking for some tips buying 10x8 greenhouse for next season, i already have 8x6 but its just not big enough, i can see you all rolling your eyes at me now i know i should of bought a bigger greenhouse originally but i honestly didnt think i needed/wanted a bigger greenhouse until i fill my 8x6 in no time. I was originally after a 2nd hand 10 x 8 greenhouse  but they rarely advertised near me. now i leaning towards a new greenhouse but cant make my mind up on anything image. I like a green coated one but the price it quite a bit more and double doors would be ideal , high eaves - toughed glass maybe, is it worth paying all the extra costs for my dream/affordable greenhouse. my budget was £200 at first but it just keeps raising. i been looking at Halls - elite - simplicity etc. Robinsons - Hercules greenhouse etc are a bit to expensive. I seen a few greenhouses on offers do you think they come down anymore in Dec - Jan?
Can you recommended a good company/website with affordable prices - greenhouse brand.
Help much appreciated

• Instead of going for a GH with high eaves, if the ground allows then dig down to give you the extra height. Should also help keep the GH regulate temperatures.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I bought a Halls silver line lean-to, good greenhouse; awful instructions, they were like 6th generation photocopies; my builder and I went potty trying to understand them. Still waiting for door handle neary two years later!

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

That's an interesting option Blairs i am not sure its possible for my greenhouse location. 

Hi artjak my 8x6 is a halls but bought 2nd hand so it came part built so it was relative easy to put back together,  but i have read else where halls and elite have poor instructions. 

Hi i have decided on a Elite Belmont 10 x 8 greenhouse but unsure how much ventilation is needed. the greenhouse already has 2 roof vents and i will add automatic vent openers. The sides of the greenhouse are more a less sheltered from the wind/breeze so i don't know how much airflow a louver vent will provided. 

Are you going to be there all the time to open the door each morning? I think I would still recommend louvres on the side opposite the door to get a good air flow on very hot days. (hard to imagine that at the moment!)image

ye i am normally around and about to open the door in the morning. Probably would be best to have a louver opposite the door it just the extra cost keep mounting up.  

• the cost do mount up perki. I know I spent 1.5 times the cost of the greenhouse on staging alone. image

Have you looked on the greenhousepeople website?

Hi zombie gardener yes i have looked on the greenhouse people website. I order a brochure off them which came with a tea which was a nice of them. They did have a Simplicity stableford greenhouse on offer what was tempting.

At the moment i am looking on elbec garden building website they have upto 25% off elite greenhouses

I am quite surprised how stressful it is looking for a greenhouse. My budget is ever extending itself. For example i like full sheet toughed glass but i don't really need it but it be wise to have it just in case, its the same with other stuff i just dont know what to do image

• last year I was lucky enough to get a nearly new custom built GH off someone who was moving house. The entire thing moved without a hitch except for the two triangular panes at either side of the eaves. Because they were relatively small panes and it was summer I left the panes empty, called it ventilation and told myself I had months to get replacement panes cut.  Of course, by winter I still hadn't done anything about replacing the glass and in a panic, knowing it was going to frost hard before I could get the glass cut, I went to a DIY store and bought a square plastic louvre wall vent, cut it into two triangles and, voila, ended up with some dirt cheap louvre venting. Which just goes to prove that procastinating can be a good thing...and even an expensive GH can be improved with a bit of cheap diy.  The louvre is a godsend really, even with four side vents the GH wouldn't get an airflow without the two 'accidental' end vents.

ZombieG, I made my own staging in an afternoon, and even my builder was impressed! I think the treated timber from Wickes cost about £43. I really enjoyed doing it. (8' long with a shelf underneath; followed a chap on u-tube, but made it more sophisticated than he did)image Hurrah for lady pensioners!