Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dahlia Tubers

I've just received my delivery of Dahlia Tubers and all of the instructions say to plant in spring once the soil has warmed. As we have a cold snap forecast for the coming weeks, can I store my tubers in the shed (cold but dry) for a few weeks?  The tubers are soil free and in great condition so don't want to risk losing them.

• Hi Sallyann Ive got mine stored in my shed in a seed tray and they seem just fine. I will be planting mine when the weather is warmer. They say that they should be lifted at the end of the season, as I did, but my late father-in-law left his in the ground and they flowered their socks off every year, he was a very good gardener, so I'm going to do the same this year. Mind you I am in Bournemouth so it is milder here than other places. They are lovely though and make lovely cut flowers. Good Luck

• G.1G.1 Posts: 4
    Sallyann1964 wrote (see)

I've just received my delivery of Dahlia Tubers and all of the instructions say to plant in spring once the soil has warmed. As we have a cold snap forecast for the coming weeks, can I store my tubers in the shed (cold but dry) for a few weeks?  The tubers are soil free and in great condition so don't want to risk losing them.

Cold but dry is fine.

Hope that helps.image

• They won't take much frost if they are just bare tubers. I hope your shed is reasonably frost free. In this weather it is better to put them in a box, cardboard will do, and cover them in dry soiless compost as insulation. A cool but airy place indoors might be better, but they may start shooting which could be a problem for you if you have no greenhouse or cold frame to protect them and give them some light when in growth.