Huge Bee on Winter Clematis "Freckles"

I know it's been very mild until recently, but surely this fellow is in a 'hurry' to get late benefit from the nectaries on the clematis blooms?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,790

Lovely pics - fabulous when you zoom in on them image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,503

That'll probably be a queen building up her reserves before hibernating.  Excellent photos!image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks for your kind comments, Dove and Bob! My wife and I have (independenty) seen this particular bee several times over the last few weeks - she's generally paying special attention to the (still) flowering begonias and adjacent fuchsias - but ignoring pelargoniums and hebe [just coming into flower]. More news anon.

• Hi David

If you have December copy of GW, go to page 94. Brilliant article on Bumblebees

• funny enough had one few days back on mahonia  

• That Bee really does seem to be arriving close to the cold weather. Good photograph. image

I should soon be getting a kit from The Bee Cause (Friends Of The Earth) that will come with a Bee identification guide so should be good for spring when the Bees return.

• iften see them in February  looking for nests too so dont sleep long  

• Thanks for your kind comment, WildlifeG123. I've yet to 'delve' into my December GW as I've been gardening (thinning shrubberies & pruning roses, reglazing greenhouse etc) up in the Midlands for a week or so - will definitely look out for the Bumblebees article, cheers, Mark 1963!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/

Worth a look. I signed up for their newsletter last year, lots of articles to read

• Jilly5Jilly5 Posts: 6

I have a clematis Freckles by my kitchen window wich is visited by a large bumble all winter .We saw a bumblebee in all weathers last winter too. the clematis flowers from november to march each year.