Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buried treasure

• TaskerTasker Posts: 29

The shovel went clang again this weekend, this time I uncovered an 8" layer of solid chalk! lucky me.....

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I dug up a golf ball today on the allotment. Had a chuckle to myself thinking of plot holders gone by, this guy must have gone down on the allotment to practice his swing...image 

• My neighbours have driven loads of golfballs onto my paddock. They must have a vicious hook. Shame I don't do golf anymore.image

• BalBal Posts: 93

We moved to this barn about 18 months ago and under the concrete have found number plates spanners wrenches, it was a breakers yard at some point. Also found horse shoes, so must have been used as a stable as well I presume

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Bumped up for Wonky image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Blimey Tasker, lucky you lolimage

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

I had a phone call last year from someone in the next village 'Can you come and look at the wall I've found under my garden' !!! I was off like a shot.  Beautiful flint walling, a fireplace, a well were eventually revealed in the garden of an old manor house along with ancient broken glass flasks and beautiful pottery, pieces large enough to be identified.  Mostly from 17th century.  All because they started a new bed where a corner needed tidying up.  The previous occupants had been there for years but not quite that long.  image 

re the visited 'yellow garden' the transfer of material from the top to the bottom may have been solifluction effects from the last ice age 10-15,000 years ago when tundra conditions existed beyond the reach of the glaciers.  Hereabouts everytime they put in a new road through the chalk the slips show up really well . Summer time partial thaws melted the top layers which have then slid downhill, wherever there was a slope, scouring big channels through the chalk

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

very slow to load this morning, thought it had failed. 

• SInce this thread has appeared on 'recents', I thought I'd comment.

I have found so many dog bones in the garden while digging it over that I suspect the place is a veritable pet cemetary. I didn't keep them to work out if it is just one deceased pet or several but they are scattered all around the bottom part of the garden. I wonder if old tree roots carried them underground!

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

we found a well right near the house, lots of fossils (they look like monster worms) but could be something from the sea as we are right near it, we found some really old railway tracks, think they were from the old seafront railway, various old coins, a small plastic tortoise, lots of old bricks and the remains of an old garden wall.