Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buried treasure

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I dug up a hamster in a box in my MIL's garden and reburied in a more discreet corner.

• my garden use to have a duck pond at the bottom(use to be a farm around the corner)and we have found clay pipes and bottles and broken tiles and of course over the years lost toys that were my childrens.We also have a under ground spring and a covererd  well .image

• Forester2 wrote (see)

I dug up a hamster in a box in my MIL's garden and reburied in a more discreet corner.

Freddie Star ate mine. image

• I unearthed a beautiful Victorian water pump at my old allotment - apparently the water table is only a few feet down and before water was piped to the site, the old gardeners dug their own wells to provide water. The pump is now a great feature in my patio garden!

When our road was properly made up a few years ago, in a pile of earth at the roadside, I found several dozen Georgian/Victorian bottles, some quite valuable. It was apparently the site of a pond,opposite a long-gone pub, and people supposedly used to throw their pots,pans, and bottles into the pond!  It was a lovely reminder of days long gone.

• TaskerTasker Posts: 29

I have recently unearthed more of the grey council slabs in my garden all set about 3 inches down, some large chunks of flint & a large patch of ballast kindly left behind by the 1960's builders.

• PentilliePentillie Posts: 411

Reminds me of the discovery I made when I moved into my previous house,thirty years ago.

Digging the back garden ready to lay a new lawn, when I struck gold!.......or more correctly,a complete Cannon gas cooker!

The effort required to dig a hole nearly six feet deep defies belief - the Council would have taken it away for a fiver!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

The mind boggle!!!  

Maybe he'd dug the hole because he didn't like his wife's cooking, but he chickened out and instead of burying her in it he put the cooker in there image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

Great thread Dove! We found extension rubble in the old pond, which we then had to dig out! It took my poor hubbie a month of weekends to do, wading through black muck etc. We wanted to turn it into a raised bed so ended up having to dig a hole into reinforced concrete!!! Still, its a lovely salad bed now!

We have also found old bricks as the village is built on an old brickworks site.

Macavity - I think your story takes some beating though!!

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

Pentillie - an old oven! Gosh, that must have taken some digging!

• I have just visited a "yellow book" garden which has alkaline soil over chalk at one end, and acid soil at the other. The latter was washed down by torrential rains so many decades ago, from the top of a local hill of greensand. 

Now that's what I call  "buried treasure".image

Fascinating geology Dove??