Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buried treasure

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Pea gravel I would associate with river tumbled stuff, extracted from massive gravel pits along the Trent flood plain,like at Attenborough. Bulwell,Mansfield woodhouse, quarry lane at Mansfield, and Hardwick have a yellowish sandstone rock. Forest town to the east of Mansfield, was mainly farming area, now housing,further east is clipstone,ollerton,which was coal mining. 

So the mystery continues.

• patty3patty3 Posts: 129

hi dove

what an interesting thread, i have enjoyed reading of all the finds.

i am in the middle of town and have found rusty old door locks, 

gate bolts, hinges,nails and horses teeth!

• fidgetbones wrote (see)

Pea gravel I would associate with river tumbled stuff, extracted from massive gravel pits along the Trent flood plain,like at Attenborough. Bulwell,Mansfield woodhouse, quarry lane at Mansfield, and Hardwick have a yellowish sandstone rock. Forest town to the east of Mansfield, was mainly farming area, now housing,further east is clipstone,ollerton,which was coal mining. 

So the mystery continues.

It was just gravel!!! image image
  • Ah, but obviously to the gravel enthusiast there is no such thing as 'just gravel' any' more than there are 'just sweet peas' imageimage

I find geology fascinating image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Sorry, it just dragged up memories of geography circa 1970, when we were marched to the outcrop at the top of ravensdale hill, and the different layers in the sandstone were explained.

• Isn't it amazing what we can drag up from back then, although we'd forgotten it by the time we'd started our homework, and it's all we can do to remember where we left the car keys now!image

That's real buried treasure!!! image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Having given further thought to fidget's comments about the origins of gravel, my mind has been active in trying to guess the origins of my Elizabeth I coin.

Perhaps it found its way to my gravel path by being lost in the river (probably the Trent)...could it have dropped from Lizzie's own purse as she forded the river on horse-back to hunt in Sherwood Forest?

Maybe it was in the hands of Robin Hood or the sheriff at some stage?

• My house is 15 years old and was built with 12 others on the site of a  very large derelict wholesale nursery, overall about 12 acres. It was a complete mess with loads of broken glass. Unfortunately the builder made a complete "cods" of clearing and cleaning the site. Altho' the various authorities approved the works to do this, I had to shame the builder to come back and clean up the large amounts of glass that still lay everywhere. It took another 2 years in total and must have cost them a fortune. I literally stood over them while they did it to make sure they didn't cut any more corners. Now when I garden I rarely find more than the odd piece. So I don't expect to find anything of any real interest, but that is a small price to pay for peace of mind on the glazing front.

My thoughts of Elizabethan coin went straight to Hardwick.old Bess would have been the only source of much silver at the time. Quarries have dumps with all the waste in, being recycled now, odd small bits as gravel?

• We live in a Regency house in Cheltenham, It used to have a 2 acre pleasure garden, kitchen gardens, piggery, stables etc .  Parts still remain, but sadly most of it is built on now. the only stuff I've dug up is a cinder path, the remains of an out house and lots of ginger bottles and broken crockery.

Whoever has my garden when I leave will be warned that there are 2 dogs and a cat buried under the lawn, although we have 2 dogs now, so may well be 4 dogs by then!!!image