Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buried treasure

• Thanks, Fidget - The reason I know for sure where the gravel came from, was because the friend who got it for me used to be an engineer for the makers of earth moving diggers Ruston-Bucyrus and it was he acquired it for me whilst working at the quarry. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Do you know which quarry?

• fidgetbones wrote (see)

Do you know which quarry?

Ah...now there's a question! All I know is (it was a very long time ago) very near to their home in Forest Town.

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Mums garden was once the garden of a pair of old farm workers cottages,we have found a couple of horseshoes and several clay pipes.Like to think of old gardeners sitting under a tree having a smoke,whilst enjoying their garden.

My grandparents lived in forest town. My cousin still lives there. The nearest  quarries are berry hill, but they are sand.

• fidgetbones wrote (see)

My grandparents lived in forest town. My cousin still lives there. The nearest  quarries are berry hill, but they are sand.

As I recall, my engineer friend used to travel the length & breadth of the UK to attend his heavy plant machinery. But on this occasion, I do recall that he was working from home.

What colour is the gravel or stone?

• Feeling like I'm taking part in a Poirot episode image I think it was called pea-gravel.....like wot you make concrete with. 

Hercule

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

We live in an old farmhouse built in about 1770 and our garden is former cow pasture.  We've found old tiles, horse shoes, bits of crockery and unearthed huge slabs and chunky pavers from old buildings.   Some still surface when I go to clear or replant beds near the house.

The most "interesting" find was a land mine when we we were having the ground prepared for sowing a lawn and making the terrace 16 years ago.   That involved a lot of police and bomb disposal people but they didn't sweep the ground for any more so we don't do deep digging.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • image !!!

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.