Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buried treasure

• The bottom of my garden was a "dump" for the old now long gone big house. We find old poison bottles, ginger ale bottles and sadly pieces of amazing emerald green pottery ( I would live to find bigger bits as it is stunning) my neighbour found a necklace which when cleaned up and taken to some one "he knows" was told it was dated to 1890's and worth £500 he promptly sold it and bought. Rotavator which now sits rotting!!!! I have a few fab earthen ware ginger beer bottles that make wonderful bud vases!!!! My parents garden is a treasure trove of things. It is one of x 5 houses that were built on land owned by someone called feuster. He owned a nursery spread over many acres growing and developing plants. My parents have dug up old tools and plant pots and even stone troughs.... One of the pots has capability written on it. I explained to my mum who capability brown is/was and she kept it. Now anything in that pot thrives!!!!!!! 

• TaskerTasker Posts: 29

My home is built on the site of an old Victorian smithy and while I was extending a flower bed my shovel also went clang, gleefully I rubbed my hands together, expecting to unearth some nice Yorkstone slabs. Only to uncover a path made up of those ugly grey council type concrete slabs. bah.....  

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I grew up next door to a very old Church. Having learnt that the un-baptised / sinners of the world were often buried beside the Church yard as they weren't allowed inside it has always disappointed me that we never found more than a solitary penny on the land that before our house was built had always been fields.

During tidying up the current houses garden (1990s build) I found a three tier fountain that the landlord had forgotten was there (it still worked!) and remains of a rockery that had long since sunk. What has always worried me however was once I pulled the thick layers of blanket weed off (no chemicals here thank you) the flower beds stayed completely weed free (14 months and counting) ever since (despite the birds doing their best to flick seed everywhere).

• 17 tennis balls, 5 bouncy rubber balls, 1 small knife, and four kilograms of broken glass image

• I just remembered getting 'Roman' coins from museum shops as a kid and burying those in my back garden (too much TimeTeam). They must still be there. I wonder if someone will find them and think that they uncovered real Roman coins.

• someone recently unearthed a WW2 bomb in a garden round the corner....safely disposed of image

when I was a kid our house was built in what had been the grounds of an Elizabethan manor. Presumably, we were where the stables had been as we were always digging up horseshoes. We put one above the door for luck - does anyone else do that?

Sadly, nothing more exciting than builder's rubble has been yielded by my current garden so far 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Dove - I gave the bubble car to my OH as that was the first car he bought (long before I met him) and he keeps  it on the shelf in his office.  It is not in pristine condition having been underground, so I don't think it will be worth very much.  I often think of the little boy who lost it .

• Isn't it amazing how we feel we have a connection with the people who lost the things we found, whereas we wouldn't feel the same if we bought the object in a secondhand shop. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Just as a foot note to my Elizabethan coin: I didn't actually dig this coin up from my garden, it was found amongst gravel on a gravel path. I bought this gravel around 1965 and know for sure that it was from a quarry located Nr Mansfield, Notts.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Mansfield is famous for its sand quarries. The Bunter sandstone yields a red sand that is good for moulding for cast iron etc. Hardwick hall has its own quarry that still has stone cut from it for the repair of the Hall. Maybe it came from there.