I've never seen this before

I know it's been mild but I found this in the garden at the weekend. A poppy head, left for decoration, has sprouted hundreds of seedlings.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

I've heard of that happening but never seen it before. There are a lot of babies there.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

Lovely photo!  It can happen if the inside gets wet (eg because of heavy rain.)  Found another image online:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisjaz/6760181479/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Impressed, never seen that happen before. Are you going to do something with them?

• Wow that looks fab 

• Never seen this before, very similar to leeks producing 'grass'

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,231

I think its this weird weather. wet and mild. I have teasels doing the same thing.  The sweet peas were germinating in the pods. I planted them and now they are 2 inch high.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • It's actually gone in the green bin. I assumed that they wouldn't transplant at this time of the year and I still have half a packet of seeds left which I will start off in February. It was supposed to be black but was in fact deep purple.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

I suspect some will have dropped to the ground and will perform for you next year.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

I can remember on the farm, in some very wet years,fields with the ears of wheat germinating on the stalk - a crop and a whole year's work ruined image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • ladygardener2ladygardener2 Posts: 340

How strange, I've never heard of this happening before.