ID a big bird

I see this one from time to time flying low over the fen.

A raptor, biggish. Dark brown back, lighter under the wings, It lacks the white band at the base of the tail like the hen harrier. When I first saw it I thought it was a harrier of some sort but I'm not so sure now. It's not a kite or a buzzard. I recognise those 2 

Any ideas?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,646

Honey buzzard?  They're seen fairly frequently nowadays between you and us. 

http://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id/bto-bird-id-summer-buzzards-common-buzzard-and-honey-buzzard

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,233

I dont know what you've got, Nut.

The first time I saw frigate birds circling,(not in this country) I thought they looked like pterodactyls.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,234

I always think herons have a touch of the prehistoric about them in flight

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,233

I know what you mean. We get them every spring at frog gangbang time. Because of large trees they don't have a direct flight path, so have a very ungainly circling landing.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.

Oh yes, love herons - we get them over here a lot because of the marshes over the hill - sometimes I hear them calling as they pass over and I rush outside to watch.  One of my absolute favourite birds - in fact, definitely my most favourite bird image

If you watch the video I posted the link to - you'll see a real difference in the 'jizz' of the honey buzzard to the common ones (have seen plenty of common buzzards your way Nut ). 

I'm fairly certain I saw a honey buzzard last year near Pensthorpe - the set of the 'head and shoulders' is quite different to a common buzzard. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Don't think I've ever seen a buzzard in flight. We do frequently see a heron as lady a few doors away has a large pnd and we have fishing ponds near us. They make me laugh especially before they "tuck their legs up". Obviously Ornithology not my subject.

KEF, are you far from Sheffield?  We saw buzzards not far from there a few years ago - think there are quite a few in the Peak District. 

Dove, about nine miles as the crow flies image

Well, just go into the Peaks on a warm sunny day and lie on the grass gazing up into the sky and listen for a mewing sound - there'll be one soaring above you 

You can hear the call here 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/buzzard/index.aspx

If you've got nothing better to do that is - mind you I can't think of many things better than that image

Thanks Dove, I'll save that link for later, or at least until I've had more tea. Sent PM.