Forum home Talkback

Pelargonium Querie

I've had my pelargoniums in the greenhouse for a little while and had cut them back and removed all leaves.  There are now new leaves growing on a couple of them.  Should I strip them back again?


  • Hi, Eynsham Red, that's happening to mine too. I'm just leaving them hopefully that will give them a head start in the spring. Mine seem to have gone to sleep for the winter.

    I'm experimenting overwintering mine, some are still in their pots but cut down. In an unheated greenhouse with an old jumper put over at night, Some have been completely removed from the pots, dried, loose soil shaken off, dusted with yellow sulphur, wrapped in newspaper and stored like tubers. I read this in a book and heard Bob Flowerdew mentioned it on Gardeners Question Time

  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

    Mine are in the unheated GH, still in flower. In the past I've removed flowers and left them, one year I removed all leaves. I don't have much success at overwintering them as much as I try to ventilate they usually succumb to powdery mildew.

    Mark I'll be interested to hear how you go on with your experiment as I'd decided if I fail this year I won't bother again.

  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

    Keep the leaves on KR, just remove any which go brown, mouldy or seem limp,  the remaining leaves will take advantage of any sun they receive and keep the plant going over winter.

  • Thanks for your replies.  I'll try leaving the leaves then and see what happens.

    KEF, I've got mine stored in a mini fleece covered greenhouse inside my greenhouse. From what you say about powdery mildew, would you think it's better to keep them in the main part of the greenhouse (which is only 4'3" x 4'3" anyway) and put them inside the fleece when it's forecast to be cold?

  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

    E Red

    Mine went in the GH very early not because of the cold but because I'd planted them in self watering troughs and due to all the rain we had in October they were wet through, I drained them as much as I could and hoped they would dry indoors. They seem to have, but I'll have to wait and see if it has been enough.

    I use the troughs to give them a chance of survival when I go on holiday, but they aren't the best idea as they can keep them wet in the winter, hence mildew. They are standing on old pallets on the GH floor to aid ventilation and keep them off the cold floor. The GH is bubble wrapped but I haven't closed the side window as yet.

    As Verdun says they can stand some cold, my Dad used to say that they could stand a bit of frost. Dunno on that one. This year I'll keep the healthy leaves on and as Verdun says won't fleece them unless very cold, and will try cutting them back next September. With my track record I've nothing to lose. Best year 3 from 20 survived.

    Good luck and let's know how you get on. Would also like to know how Mark gets on.

    Thanks Verdun & Dave. 

  • Hi KEF

    I'll be putting a detailed post on this forum come the spring on exactly what I did and the results. I have actually 3 lots of trials going on.

    1/ Six are in a garage on a ledge against the window, cut back in pots surrounded by white polystyrene to throw back the light.

    2/ Same as above, expect in an unheated GH, dusted with yellow sulphur to prevent botrytis (grey mould). Important to keep GH door open at all times and dry inside. The base of the pots are surrounded with old towels and an old jumper placed over them at night when frost is forecast.

    3/ Six have been completely removed from the pots, dried, loose soil shaken off, dusted with yellow sulphur, wrapped in newspaper and stored like tubers.

    Like KEF, I lost the lot last winter to grey mould, if any of these methods work for me in Aberdeenshire, I hope they will work anywhere.

    My neighbour is trying the same dry method too.

Sign In or Register to comment.