Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

overgrown fuschia

HI - I have 2  large  old fuschia (about 4 - 5ft), every year I cut them back as far as I can but I am wondering is it possible to split the plants to reduce their size? If so when is the best time to do this? any pitfalls to avoid?

• ive tryed this and it didnt work for me spliting .maybe i didnt leave  enough root on it . id rather take new cuttings in spring time when new growth comes on the plant . gerard

• It is easier to grow fuchsias from cuttings if they are not hardy varieties cut branches back by 2 thirds and protect from frosts in winter, if hardy varieties cut back in spring aand take cuttings when new growth is big enough

• I had a similar sized fuscia in a previous garden and decided to divide it into two so that I could have the same plant in another part of the garden. I lost both! Taking cuttings is very easy and, in my opinion, is by far the safest option.

• Thanks for this - will try cuttings, never tried this before - do I need a greenhouse for this to give them a start?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I take fucshia cuttings all year round, on the windowsill first in a pot of water till they root, I have hundreds now waiting to go in baskets, tubs and garden in the spring. Probably not the correct way, but it always works for me.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hello Standen1,

For a step-by-step guide to taking cuttings have a look at this project (below) on the site. It's about geranium cuttings but you can do the same with fuchsia. Don't worry too much about timing, as philipgardner says, you can start when the new growth is big enough. Also, you needn't buy hormone rooting powder as they'll probably root without it.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/greenhouse/how-to-take-geranium-cuttings/332.html

Good luck,

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

• Thanks everyone - thats really useful, will have to give it a go image