Forum home Problem solving

Moles

• There is loads of good advice on this website - I have used their traps and they do really work. I found the video really useful to watch as I had no idea how to go about this.http://www.beagleproducts.com/

• WozwozWozwoz Posts: 6
    I don't know but I've been told .... Pee ! They don't like it if u pee on their mole hills , bless em ! Apparently one pee gender is more effective than the other but can't remember which way around it is , sorry . But to be born in mind- female pee is more corrosive to your grass than male image
  • iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    It was on GQT... Apparently moles do not like female urine whilst foxes do not like male urine.
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

At our old house, my husband used windmills - not little flimsy ones, but great big ones. The moles seemed to go.  I read on google that windmills don't work, and told him it was probably just a coincidence.  However last autumn he found another big windmill at the garden centre (original ones bit the dust years ago) and stuck it in (after a positive 'mole himalaya' experience last summer).  No new mole hills yet.  So is it coincidence again?  Or is it too early to tell?  Or do the people who say they don't work only say that because they have only used the ones that people stick on baby prams rather than big ones?  He is going to try chilli powder next, but failing that it seems I have to start decanting my wee image into a jug.  (Don't want to upset the neighbours by delivering direct image)

• I still have my mole problem; came back from holiday last Wednesday to find 20, yes twenty, molehills in the front garden. Seven of them were on the grass and the rest in the left side border, which I only recently planted up.

I've tried cloves of garlic, Caster Oil granules and Nematodes last year; there are empty cans on metal rods which rattle in the wind, together with 3 childrens windmills, and I'm now trying hot chilli powder down the hole I find when I clear away the heap of soil - I now have a large crate full of the soil I've removed from the molehills.

I have decided to send for a Moleman, and he is coming next Sunday.
  • The Moleman came and set 10 traps. The mole/moles pushed one trap out but another trap has caught 1 mole. The man checked the other 9 traps and is coming again next week. I've still got the cans and windmills in place.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I'm told that the soil from the molehills is great for potting.  True?

I have them on the allotment but we might at least get some benefit from their activities.  Voles too!

They tunnel under the plants and eat the roots.  I'm trying to encourage the sparrowhawk!

• Having disposed of my mole in 2014, I now find that a new tenant has discovered my garden.  I feel sad that I had to kill the previous one by putting dried chillies down into the tunnels which appeared (this may not have been the case) to have caused him to go into hyper-activity, and on seeing the earth moving on the latest hill I grabbed a spade and demolished him.  I live in the country and there are plenty of nice fields for the little critters, but obviously my garden provides the best meals.

This one is doing the same as Steve 309, plus wrecking the lawn which now has bumps and hollows and is more like a battle field.

Does anyone know of a "humane" way of deterring them?