Forum home Fruit & veg

Figs

2»

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Tom fertiliser sounds like a good idea. I have heard that I should remove any tiny figs that have formed now so the plant gets a fresh start in the spring. Does anyone agree?

verdun, I will fleece, and fleece again; especially as it is supposed to be a bad winter coming, though frankly I think the forecasters consult a chicken's entrails.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,520

I'm bubblewrapping the pot and will be fleecing the plant in very cold spells, but removing the fleece in fine weather to allow plenty of air flow and guard against humid conditions encouraging rot.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I actually have squirrels that are partial to a fig, but I managed to pick the ripe ones b4 they were eaten. I wonder if your fig has outgrown your pot. You could try a 50 gallon water storage tank, they're not cheap, but I used them for bamboos.

Gmaiden, if the pot was ever correct for the plant, I might have blinked and missed it. The plant is still after all these years only about 4' tall. I think I will try moving all the low plants and feeding from next spring plus more frequent watering. If I still have no luck I will be whinging on this forum againimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,520

Plenty of water when producing fruit, but good drainage too - think of them as Middle Eastern plants, with roots reaching down through rocky ground into underground aquafers - because we replicate that rocky ground by constricting the roots we have to provide them with water - but in the wild they'd prefer an arid surface so we need to give them well-drained conditions. - if that makes sense.

And as with tomatoes, feed when the fruits are developing. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you Doveimage