Figs

I want to start growing figs in my garden. I live in Sheerness. Has anyone got any pointers for me? Which varieties have people got? Any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance

Alan

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,095

Brown turkey is one recommended for the UK as its quite hardy. This is the one I have and we've had heavy snow for the last five years and its come through and fruited in the summer and it justs gets better every year. There are a couple of others that are ok for the UK, but I don't remember the names.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Gardenmaiden, my fig has been in a big pot for 10 years, facing South for the last year, against a wall to protect it from North and East. I am lucky if I get 1 fig per year. It shares the pot with some low growing plants and a variegated ivy with a drooping habit. What am I doing wrong, should I feed it?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

Superb fruit nursery gives loads of good info here http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/fig-trees-for-gardens-and-greenhouses/ 

I've no connection with the nursery other than to be a very happy customer.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,095

artjak, I used to have my fig in a pot and it wasn't until I planted it in the ground that it really took off. I've got it planted in a two foot wide space between the deck and the fence and put some stones in as they like their roots constricted a bit. The fig is in front of brick too and gets the sun all day (when its out). I don't feed it and didn't when it was in a pot. How big is the pot? My fig is next to a big black bamboo and they don't seem to mind each other.

Artjak - I really wouldn't grow anything else in the pot with a fig - they're really thirsty plants and anything else will cut down on the water it receives.  Last summer I watered my small fig (first year I had it) more than I watered my tomatoes. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Thank you very much everybody. Looking forward to buying my first fig plant!

Thanks again

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

GMaiden, the pot is plastic and more than half a wheely bin in size, I don't have anywhere to plant it in the earth; I always understood that figs like to have their roots confined.

Dove, I did not realise that they are so thirsty; will remove the other plants. It will make it look a little bare as pot is about 60/70cm across at the top. Did you feed it at all?

Verdun, I love 'my' blackbird more than I love figs; perhaps I should put paper bags over the young figs?

I didn't feed much last summer as it was newly potted - a couple of doses of tomato fertiliser when I fed the toms.  I'll do that a bit more often next summer.