what to "over winter"

Hi All! I am wanting to try and start flowers, fruit and veg off now to start getting results in spring and wondered if I have a greenhouse and veg/fruit plot what will survive if I start it now? I have put sweet peas in for some early flowers hopefully but wondered if any one had any ideas of what can either go straight in the ground or will work in an unheated greenhouse. Cheers!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,925

Broad beans Aquadulce claudia.

Start off in pots in a cold greenhouse. Plant out if we get a mild spell, or get a head start in the spring.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have some autumn planting peas in a cold frame, broad beans under a cloche made from 2 old bits of polycarbonate roofing, I've got Japanese spinach starting in the slightly heated greenhouse; that will have to stay in there; Winter giant spinach starting off in the greenhouse (I planted it too late to start it off outside) hopefully I can then harden it off and grow it outside. Chard and leeks planted some time ago will keep going all winter. Am still harvesting carrots planted around September. I missed planting some new potatoes in bags for Christmas, perhaps next year. Herbs like Basil and Parsley can be grown all year indoors. I've cut back some toms, aubergine and peppers just to see what happens to them through the winter and into spring. Am still harvesting celery and beetroot.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

there are lots of hardy perennial flowers can be started now,

What sort of flowers do you want to grow?

• Tulips! Prime time! image

As FB says! Broads. "Aqua Claudia"

Peas "Douce Provence"

Garlic! 

Japanese onion sets! 

But best get ya skates on! image

• Awesome thanks all. Might need to break the frosty crust off my soil but will give it a go. Cheers