What the heck - my purse isn't big enough - but one can dream

I decided that 2 evergreen hellebores are just not enough I need more. New colours. I have a white and then a variagated version that is pinky. Off to the garden centre.....

i decided to treat myself to a stiff cup of tea when I saw that a 3" potted evergreen hellebore was £5.99!!!!!

i know that they take an age to mature but please I can't afford that!!! Any suggestions for decent sources, or alternative plants with a hellebore size and nature!! I will try and attach pictures of my 2, I'm now rather precious over them as I have seen the price tags!!

i cut off old flowering stems last year as newly planted and was told it would help them take hold. I have NO CLUE how to treat them, when to trim up or what to do, novice.com!!!!!!!!

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,199

Hayloft are good for hellebore plugs - but you need to be prepared to wait a year or two for flowers. 

I'm sure verdun will be along soon to advise - i think ashwood nurseries are his favourite

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • they are fairly robust, i cut off all the old leaves to the ground in January, it seems a bit harsh but youll be rewarded when the flower spike appears closely followed by all the new leaves.

• Really scalp them completely???

will google those nurseries thanks

• I have lots of baby hellebores which I dug up from a friend's garden. Should they be scalped too?  They are still in pots and I hope to plant them in the ground next month when my overgrown bushes have been pruned.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,250

Red Dahlia, watch the seed swap next year.  They're easy from seed sown fresh and kept outside

• LynLyn Posts: 8,406

Try here

http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Helleborus-(Hellebore)/Double-Ellen-Collection/prod8672.html

I bought these, they will flower next winter/Spring, pot them up for now then plant out when they are a bit bigger, I know you have to wait till next year, but its well worth it, they are lovely. This is one from my daughters garden last year, they soon come on. I have never been dissapointed with Hayloft plants.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • OG it's worth taking off the old leaves - even on "babies" - they will already be developing the shoots for next year's leaves below the ground which will be at least twice the size of this year's. As Verdun says, they are susceptible to black spot and cutting off the old leaves will give them a better chance of avoiding infection. I usually scalp them in December, give them a mulch of compost, and the flowers and new leaves come up from January. Maybe mark their location somehow to make sure you don't tread on them in the meantime! I've used upturned hanging basket frames for this - works well and stops the flipping squirrel/ cats/ foxes disturbing them as well.

Red Dahlia - they are certainly expensive bought as fully mature plants but if you already have two, they will produce offspring and you'll eventually get lots of new plants for free. I leave the seed heads on once the flowers have gone over. The following Feb/Mar lots  of seedlings emerge near the parent plants. You can give them a helping hand with a paintbrush (Carol Klein did this on GW) to ensure you get seeds. No guarantee what colours they will be of course, but that's part of the fun! I have sown some seeds in pots as well, but they seem to do much better if left to do their own thing - I just pot up the seedlings, grow them on a bit and plant them out as soon as they have true leaves. They don't much like being moved, so I prefer to get them in the ground early (plus it's easier to find the space in the border for a small plant!)

All in all, what with waiting a year for seeds to germinate, it is at least three years before you start to get flowers from seed. That's why they are so expensive. Once established though, they last for years and years. Verdun's recommended the best suppliers if you really can't wait!

Give your hellebores a good mulch with good organic matter now-ish, with perhaps some slow-release fertilizer as well to give them a boost, and you should be rewarded with plenty of flowers in spring.

Warning: they are addictive