Plant identification

Just wondering if anyone can identify this plant? There seem to be a few of them around the garden I've recently taken over.

thanks

• might be jasmine?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,095

That's what I think it could be, too.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,241

I'll agree with  Jasmine officinale. The white summer flowering one.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Thanks, yes it looks like it wants to climb doesn't it. I thought it was a self-seed from the plant against my wall (see photo), but I don't think they are the same are they? If not, an identification of that one as well would be appreciated.

• Agree that the first one is jasmine, second one reminds me of Buddleja fallowiana. Or is that wooliness actually mildew?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,241

I dont think it is fallowiana. The leaf arrangement would be more like Buddleja alternifolia.(if it is a buddeleja) If so it should flower early on in the spring.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,237

I wondered if it was one of those jasmines with the little pink flowers, ?beesianum or something like that

• Not sure it is a Buddleja, but B. fallowiana has opposite leaves while B. alternifolia has alternate leaves. The leaves appear to be in opposite pairs in the photo.

Jasminum beesianum apparently only has 5-7 leaflets in a group, this seems to have more.

The plant does look very familiar, can't quite put my finger on it....

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,237

I may have got the name wrong, the jasmine I'm thinking of has pairs of leaves right up the stems.  

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

It might be Jasminium Polyanthum. Flowers are extremely sweetly scented. Frost tends to damage it though