Forum home Problem solving

Slippery decking

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,568

are you paying for this advert or just shamelessly freeloading?

Devon.
  • I have used a similar system but start by stripping and wire brushing the surface. Next apply a generous coat of varnish or paint (oil based ) and leave it sit for an hour or two to get tacky. Then sprinkle very dry sharp sand on it. I dry the sand in an oven or kiln to ensure it is bone dry. Once the sanded coat is completely dry, I use a spray gun to recoat the sand with paint/ varnish... enough to bond it but not so much as to flood it 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,171
    jbslord said:
    I have used a similar system but start by stripping and wire brushing the surface. Next apply a generous coat of varnish or paint (oil based ) and leave it sit for an hour or two to get tacky. Then sprinkle very dry sharp sand on it. I dry the sand in an oven or kiln to ensure it is bone dry. Once the sanded coat is completely dry, I use a spray gun to recoat the sand with paint/ varnish... enough to bond it but not so much as to flood it 
    Treating timber decking by scouring it with a wire brush is really bad for it.  :/
    To be honest - if you have to resort to doing all that, decking is the wrong surface for the site it's in.

I'm actually waiting for an advert though - that's the normal course of events when an old thread is dredged up by a new poster.  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yeh - well we aren't in Florida. North or south @marcz4uYaTDfj2p
    Byeeee  :)

• I have wooden sleepers edging steps down into mygarden which I treat each year by spraying with Jeyes Fluid diluted in water. Leave for 20 mins then scrub or hose down. Works well. This can be used on paving etc. to control algae and moss.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,581
    But Jeyes fluid is a horrible material, extremely toxic to all kinds of life: algae, moss, fish, plant life, pets, earth-dwelling creatures such as worms, and humans.  It doesn’t lose its toxicity when it is dried and re-wetted. It sits on the surface or leaches into the soil and continues to be a nasty chemical. 

If you have to use chemicals, it would be better to choose one of the patio cleaners which are only toxic when first wet. After they dry they are “harmless”.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,773
    The other option is to stretch and staple some chicken wire to the sleepers so you have a grip for your feet.  It will show at first but will weather down to be invisible but effective for years and non toxic to micro-organisms in the soil or the wood and thus safe for other organisms such as worms, insects, mice, hedgehogs and birds.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    The only reason this thread has re appeared is because of the spammer yesterday, hence my previous post looking rather odd   :)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,581
    Odd for you, fairygirl, 😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Don't be too sure about that @pansyface :D
    Mind you - sometimes I have an overwhelming urge to say things more directly, so it could have been a lot worse!