At end August I bought a sad ALSTROMAREA for 50p. Re-potted and nursed so it is now a lovely big healthy plant.But it has a lot of flowers and more comming. It is in the coldframe facing east and quite sheltered. How do I care for it now?  Will it overwinter in coldframe, garage or should it come in to the house. I am in Staffordshire. Temp went down to -0.5% last in garden.   Any tips appreciated. Thank you, Maggie 

With apologies to the two who responded when I called it an aquelegia which are very hardy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,819

There was a query a while back - hope that helps image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Thanks Dove, very helpful. I now know what to do with it.  Mags

• I've got Alstroemeria in pots and they have been outside for the last 4 years, I don't put them in a cold frame or greenhouse and they have flowered every year, I even had flowers on Christmas Day. Mine are still flowering.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,092

Most years I didn't have any problems with Alstro's in pots.  I just left them where they stood all year, protected by the fence and the wall of the house.  The winter before last I lost the lot!

I would definitely move them to somewhere that they aren't likely to get waterlogged or frozen.  Much better than the possible alternative.

• Is it true they don't usually like being moved? I translocated ( technical term for "moved"image) from a friend's garden via a few months in pots over winter, then successfully planted out. Will leave now.

• I live in the North West and had Alstromerias for many years until I got fed up with them.  Then they were somewhat difficult to get rid of.  I never did anything to overwinter them and they just came up again each year.  Maybe some are more hardy than others?

• Well that's certainly us Verdun.  Light sandy soil.

• Great information from you all.  I have heavy clay soil here so I will keep it in the pot instead of putting out as I planned to.  And Leave it in a sheltered place for the winter, moving it if it turns very cold.  Thank you all.  Mags