unusual bird nest

Does anyone know what type of bird would inhabit this nest. It was in the middle of an Ozothamnus rosmarinifolius. The plant was in a bad way and when we removed it this was in the middle. The nest appears to be made of lichens, but the inside was completely stuffed with feathers.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,932

The photo was taken 4th May 2008. There were no eggs or chicks in the nest.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,713
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,636

It looks like a long tailed tits nest to me and is similar to some nests I knew to be theirs.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Snap Punkdoc image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,636

Great minds. It must be because we are both retired.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth

imageimageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,932

We do get a lot of long tailed tits, and  that is the only nest of that type we have found in the garden. They usually spend a lot of time on the feeders.

Thanks everyone.

I've watched them in the early spring, creeping up and down the trunks of the ash trees, and also on the walls of our house, finding tiny spiders' webs in the crevices and crannies and especally under the windowsills, to weave into their collection of lichens and mosses before they stuff the nest with feathers - it's such a remarkable nest image