unusual bird nest

Does anyone know what type of bird would inhabit this nest. It was in the middle of an Ozothamnus rosmarinifolius. The plant was in a bad way and when we removed it this was in the middle. The nest appears to be made of lichens, but the inside was completely stuffed with feathers.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,241

The photo was taken 4th May 2008. There were no eggs or chicks in the nest.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,665
    No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,209

It looks like a long tailed tits nest to me and is similar to some nests I knew to be theirs.

I've seen the needle and the damage done
    A little part of it in everyone

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Snap Punkdoc image

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,209

Great minds. It must be because we are both retired.

I've seen the needle and the damage done
    A little part of it in everyone

imageimageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,241

We do get a lot of long tailed tits, and  that is the only nest of that type we have found in the garden. They usually spend a lot of time on the feeders.

Thanks everyone.

I've watched them in the early spring, creeping up and down the trunks of the ash trees, and also on the walls of our house, finding tiny spiders' webs in the crevices and crannies and especally under the windowsills, to weave into their collection of lichens and mosses before they stuff the nest with feathers - it's such a remarkable nest image