Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

climbing hydrangea help ?

Hi I've just moved into an old house with an amazing large climbing hydrangea on the front.

Can anyone give me an idea of when/ if I can prune or remove the odd branch without killing it ?

All advice would be appreciated!

Marion

• LORELEILORELEI Posts: 128
    Hi Marion. We have quite a large one growing up the house wall in our back garden. The only thing I ever do to it is cut back branches that threaten to grow over our doors in early spring. I leave the dead flower heads on to protect the new shoots a bit. These also get cut off in early spring (those I can reach ). Cannot be doing too much wrong as it is very healthy. I love it. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for that! Our tree has a lot of new shoots growing on it already so perhaps a little trim before it properly wakes up in the next couple of months. Its got two bird nests in it and I've noticed some house sparrows eyeing them up so I'd better get a move on before I have fledglings to consider too!! imageimage 

• dimbatdimbat Posts: 1

I too have a climbing hydrange which is growing against a north facing wall.  It was planted about 4 years ago and looks verey healthy, but has never flowered.  Has anyone any ideas why?

• Hiya Dimbat,

apparently it can take up to 5 years before they blom and then they really take off !! imageimage 

M

• May I ask advice about moving an established climbing hydrangea? It is in the wrong place and not very happy but I don;t want to kill it. Is now a good or bad time?

• Hi Shebacat image

How established?  I wouldn't try to move one that's attached itself to a wall - it won't reattach once you've prised it off.

Have you worked out why it's not happy where it is?  Can you do something to improve it's situation where it is? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Hi Dovefromabove,

Thanks for your swift reply It must be about three or four years old and yes, it is attached to my garden wall. In this position it never gets any sun and has flowers but only a few. I would like to give it to someone who can find a better situation for it but obviously don't want to kill it. To be honest I wish I hand;t put it there in the first place but again would;t kill it.

• I would leave it where it is - Hydrangea petiolaris are plants for shady walls - it really wouldn't be happy in sunshine.  They take a while to get going, and four years is very young.  My bet is that over the next few years it will begin to romp away and flower happily.  

Make sure that there isn't grass growing up to the hydrangea's stem - it needs some clear soil around it so it doesn't have to compete for moisture and nourishment.  In the spring give it a feed of Fish, Blood and Bone (as directed on the pack) and also make sure that it doesn't go short of water.  The area at the base of a wall or fence is usually in a 'rain shadow' and can be very dry.

I'm hoping that with just a little tlc now, in a few years' time you'll be loving your Climbing hydrangea. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I agree Philippa, you can move them ......... but I wouldn't try as you'd have to cut it right back ........ I would propagate by layering and start a new plant off elsewhere.  

How quickly did yours get going again?

• Thank you very muh for your considered replies. I shall persevere!!!