Winter pansies

TesniTesni Posts: 155

Hi, is it too late to buy Winter Pansies online and plant them (in pots)?

When my mum and I went to the garden centre about 6 weeks ago, they'd already sold out. She's gone on holiday and I'd love to plant some as a surprise for when she gets home, as she usually has them every year.

If it's not too late, does anyone have any online recommendations for where to buy them?

Many thanks,

Tesni

• No its  not too late. Why not give your local garden centre a ring to see  if they have had more delivered.Many supermarkets often sell them, well worth a look Violas  can offer an attractive alternative     Good luck      image

• TesniTesni Posts: 155

Thanks Airwaves! Violas - will look out for those as well.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,458

Violas are so lovely - stockier and more floriferous than pansies and they stand the winter weather much better - and scented too image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for the tip! Will look out for violas as well.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,872

If you buy on line and they are sold as plugs, they will be to small to plant out now, but you can pot them up, keep in a cold greenhouse or cold frame and plant out early Spring. If you want to plant out now, the supermarkets have some 

In 3/4 inch pots, those can go out now.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks for the advice Lyn.

In fact Dovefromabove, I think it might have been Violas I was thinking of all along. I just thought they were 'large pansies' - didn't know they had their own name. Thanks for that.

Violas are smaller than the big pansies - there are lots of colours and some have little pansy faces and some are plainer

https://www.google.com/search?q=viola+flowers&rlz=1C1SVEE_enGB425GB425&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=eeV_UtvhGoeqhAfx9oGAAQ&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=910&bih=444

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Dove, I was just about to pop back on and correct myself  - I realised I was mistaken. So many pretty flowers to choose from!

Aren't they gorgeous?  Every year another one becomes my favourite image