Use off used compost

Advice needed

ive got some pots etc with some compost in, is it best to start with fresh or can I just top up with fresh compost"

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

just mix it with some fresh . or put on beds or in compost bin ,

• thank you sorry to appear to be a bit thick 

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 677

I sometimes leave the old compost in the bottom half of the pot and replace the top layer with fresh stuff to get the new plants off to a good start. The rest of the old compost can be used as a soil conditioner elswhere in the garden.

And listen, there is no need to apologise for asking a simple question. As someone else has said, the only stupid question is the one you are too afraid to ask.

Every time someone asks a basic question, lots of other people read the answer and think, "Ooh, I'm glad he asked that, I was wondering too!"

• I re-use mine as mulch or put it in the compost.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 798

Just spread mine over a clay type bed and added horse manure and spread Green manure seeds......see reason below

Caliente Mustard Seed is not just a green manure - it also acts as a biofumigant for the soil. Biofumigants suppress various soil borne pests and diseases by releasing naturally occurring compounds.

We are all different thank goodness

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,424

If you are going to re use the  compost, i would tip it all out and check it for vine weevils.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • I'd like to echo the cautionary comment about vine weevil grubs 'lurking' in old compost -especially in tubs of lilies, daffodils etc. My habit is to change all the compost in such long-term potted subjects and put fresh in when I do the 'end-of-season' tidy-up. *The 'old' compost goes onto the back of shrub borders and gradually gets dug in as a conditioner as I fork the ground over.