Forum home Talkback

Small tree suggestions for small Coastal back garden.

We look out on to the fencing at the back of our garden. We would love to have something softer and greener to look on to.We also need to block the view of roof tops in the distance. The width of the garden is 30 ish foot, but the length from the house is only 20 odd feet. The sea winds sometimes burn the leaves on our shrubs so I need something resilient but not too big. . . . I would love something with autumn colour.   Any suggestions? 

• My all time fav. is Malus "Everest" sometimes with an added  "e" on the end a la Concord(e).

It has fantastic display of white blossom ( looks like the top of Mount Everest see), loads of yellow/red crabs for the Blackbirds , and good autumn colour. I have 3 because I can't get enough of a good thing.image

Medium size.

• rowans are pretty hardy small trees. They survive on wind-swept mountains (hence their common name, mountain ash) so hopefully would survive the coastal winds too. There are lots of different varieties, with berries of various colours.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310

Tamarisk tetandra http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1905 is a frequent choice for seaside gardens as it is not bothered by salt-laden winds.  It has attractive feathery foliage which is an effective screen but does not create heavy shade, and pretty pink flowers in the late spring - but no autumn colour I'm afraid. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thankyou hugely for these suggestions. I had toyed with a mountain ash and a malus, so I'm now much more confident about going forward! I'll look forward to finding these. Thanks so much.

• Tamarisk is very popular in our area. I had been considering this too. I know it would stand up to our Coastal winds!  Thanks very much.

• Thrisk,thats what i think its called .You see it growing on the coastal cliffs and beaches of cornwall.Pink feathery looking small tree and hardy.image

• I was also going to suggest Tamarisk.

Holly, Loquat, Mahonia, Euctalyptus etc all come to mind.

• yes thats it,must write that down.

• Sea Buckthorn grows like mad round here and is a good screening shrub/tree. You can eat the berries, if you really wanted to.

The other usuals are cotoneaster, guelder rose, and Phormiums.

Fatsia (the bog standard one) does really well if you can shelter from the worst of winds. The various varities of Fatsia will also do well in sheltered spots.

• It has to be tallish to clear the top of the fence, so a standard Tamarisk, a Malus and Mountain Ash may fit the bill. I hadn't thought of Sea Buckthorn and love the sound of the edible berries. Thanks everyone.