Climbing Rose

Can anyone help withrecommendations for small red climber for a small pergolaplease.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,761

Dublin Bay would be lovely for a pergola 

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/dublin-bay/

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

I have a couple of red ones chosen for not being too large

Rose ‘Crimson Showers’ (Rambler) –H-Up to 15ft x S 8ft

Trusses of bright crimson, pom-pom like lightly scented flowers against dark shiny foliage. Starts flowering in May and continues into September

and

Rose ‘Parkdirektor Riggers’ (Modern climber) H 300cm x S 180cm

Large clusters of deep red to scarlet, semi single flowers, continuously produced. Slight fragrance (4) Dark green foliage

Look here:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/

may be of help

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Snap Dove image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,761

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • How small is small? I grow "Laura Ford", a small climber, never more than 5 ft. with me. Starts yellow and flowers fade to a pinky/red.

• I love "Summer Wine" - a single rose with red wine coloured petals and beautiful gold stamens.  Unusual, but also has wonderful red hips over the winter.

At this time you still have "....the last of the summer wine" as a talking point with friends.

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 79

I remember someone recomending Dublin Bay as a red that doesn't fade in the sun

• RegBRegB Posts: 25

Thanks for all the ideas. I will have to see if I can source them in France

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,269

Sorry RegB, I know this is your thread, but may I ask if anyone knows a good pale pink climber for a pergola please. Hope to build one next year. Or would another type of climber be better on pergolas

Hope you don't mind Reg, but was just about to ask when I saw your thread.image

• RegBRegB Posts: 25

No problem SGL

I might go pink myself!!