Gardening programmes

124»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,596
    Forester2 wrote (see)

Dove - ???

Arthur Fallowfield was a comedy character created by Kenneth Williams image

extract from the link above...." Another favourite was Kenneth Williams’ country character, Arthur Fallowfield, who was based on Dorset farmer Ralph Wightman  who was a regular contributor to the BBC radio programme “Any Questions?” The scripts were full of innuendo and double entendre - on one occasion Horne introduced him as the man who put the sex in Sussex. Fallowfield’s reply to any question began: “Well, I think the answer lies in the soil!” 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now Dove.  I had it my head it was Bill Sowerbutts (could that have been his real name?) until Nut said it was Arthur Fallowfield.  Thanks for that.image  

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

Kenneth William's character may have been based on a real person, a lot of them were.  

• Lilylouise wrote (see)

Our garden will have a little spot in the episode on bedding image

In August Christine Walkden and a film crew spent  a very enjoyable afternoon in our garden image

Pam LL x

I remember you saying when she came and saw the pics. I'll look forward to seeing you on TV image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Just  looked up Bill Sowerbutts on Wikipedia and it really was his name and he was on Rado 4's Gardeners Question Time.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,596

I remember Bill Sowerbutts image and Professor Alan Gemmill image both on GQT a long time ago. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh