Forum home Plants

What would you treat yourself to?

LavandeLavande Posts: 171

What would you buy yourself if you were given £30 to spend by someone very special and you wanted a plant to treasure - perhaps that you could take with you should you move house.

• I had a ginger kitten who I was really close to, but a couple of months after his first birthday, he got run over and killed the our road, opposite our house. Because he was ginger, I bought a Buddleja Globosa and planted that as a memorial, that will come with me wherever I go, and so will it's offspring image

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Ryan that is so sad - but what a lovely way to remember him.  I have just googled the Globosa as I hadn't heard of it before - it is very unusual and interesting, not at all like I imagined.  A lovely colour too.

• Yeah he was a very similar colouring, but also as you say its an unusual plant and therefore is quite special anyway. What sized plant were you looking for?

• I like to get an acer or a small garden statue I lost an unborn child some years ago and planted a rhodie with a pale pink flower. But if we move its got so big I can't take it with me. So next year I might get something new.

Oh Star gaze I am sorry - yes rhodies are lovely and I can imagine the size it would reach. I don't know how easy it is to take a cutting from rhodedendrons - I don't think it is easy actually.  Acers are also beautiful and I think you could keep one in a pot should you move.  I suppose that goes towards my answer to your question Ryan - something that can be either easily lifted or propagated.  I rarely come across a plant I don't like in fact my garden is full of cuttings and swaps from others and I like the link each one gives me.  This plant will accompany many others when I do get round to moving and I want it to be a lovely reminder of a lovely family.

• How about a Dahlia? There are so many cultivars, youre bound to thing one that's name relates to you somehow or means something, and obviously they need to be lifted :most of the anyway) and you can then sow it's seed or take cuttings image

• a patio rose is perhaps an obvious choice but if you get the right variety you should be able to keep it in a pot and therefore portable. Or how about lilies? £30 would cover the plants and a nice big pot.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,184

I'm in exactly the same situation as you Lavande - I've been given £30 in gardening vouchers by my work colleagues as a retirement present - I will be digging a new border in the front garden over the winter and shall buy something to remember my time with them.  I'm thinking it may be a rose, possibly rosa glauca, or  rosa sericea pteracantha Red Wings (those colleagues are a lovely bunch, but fierce  when roused!!!) ;-/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Exochorda macrantha 'the Bride'. Beautiful white flowers in early spring, makes the garden come alive.  Mine has been successfully transplanted in the garden. I think it would do okay in a pot. Not an expensive plant but my favorite.

I'm going to  have a lovely morning, I am being truly spoiled for choice.  I shall make myself a cup of tea and ask Google to help me look at all your lovely suggestions.  Thank you everyone and Congratulations on your retirement Dovefromaboveimage