Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Storm damaged willow tree

2»

• WaysideWayside Posts: 845

I found something more akin to wild reclamation, but I guess that's much the same.  It's wonderful how nature gets a foothold.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Excellent choice. 

In the sticks near Peterborough

Update, I'd lost hope in the original tree surviving.

The wind not only pulled the Willow up it's also bent the nearby hawthorn over.

Anyway I planted loads of cuttings, and they have yet to do anything!  The main severed trunk that's been sitting on the ground, is beginning to sprout.  Typical.   But the good news is, that growth has emerged from the original tree.  I'd almost given up on it.  With any luck the tree will come around.

Some off cuts I've used as supports will now probably take while the ones in the pots do nothing!  Perhaps I was too ambitious with the size of my cuttings and should have just used a small section of stripped branch.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Wayside, if there's any root and a bit of bark left it will grow.

I don't think willow cuttings can be too big. We cut some 12'  branches, 4'' across at the base, made a wigwam to grow hops up. 7 of 10 rooted.

In the sticks near Peterborough

Amazing.   I must say I was optimistic to begin with that the coppiced tree would return.  But I started to get doubtful.  I'll be glad to see it spring back.