Forum home Talkback

Bonfire night memories or traditions.

Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

We always had a big bonfire to get rid of garden rubbish, we used to make a Guy F.

Dad used to buy a box of Standard fireworks 2 shillings and sixpence, that were stored high up in a cupboard and on the run up to the big night he'd get it down and we used to decide which was the first and which was the last to be set off. Always had sparklers to write our names with.

We had sausages and roast spuds and chestnuts standing around the bonfire.

One year when I was "part grown up" I had a very small glass of cider, loved it. image

No bonfire but each year we have sausages & spuds, I drink a glass or two of cider and write messages to my Dad with a giant sparkler  ( wearing a pair of his old leather gloves) Bet I look a right teacake!image

What do you do if anything?

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

KEF, thats lovely.

We did the same sort of thing, also we walked around looking at all the bonfires people had in their gardens or land nearby.

As an adult I lived next door to a fireman who loved to throw fireworks on his huge bonfire, kids standing close, not much space etc...

For the last few years we have bought loads of fireworks, had a 'competion' with the local pubs display and always has soup and hotdogs to eat.

This year no such plans, but couldn't resist a small pack of fireworks from Asda.

Hmmm, great to hear the rain thundering down the windows....

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

I remember the two shillings and sixpence box too KEF,the fireworks seemed to last for ages.

Several families would get together with one big bonfire and several boxes of foreworks,all the Mums would do sausages,sausage rolls,and jacket potatoes,all the Dads were in charge of lighting the fireworks and launching the rockets from milk bottles.

Nwadays we usually watch an organised display in the village,still fun but not quite as good as when we were young.

• We also had a box of standard fireworks (the ad on the telly, was it a song?)  Rockets from bottles, jumping jacks, Catherine wheels nailed to the fence post and of  course sparklers. We also had a guy (penny for the guy!) on the bonfire

Sometimes hot soup, jacketpotatoes,  sausages or hotdogs, roasted chestnuts on the fire indoors afterwards and marshmallows, hot chocolate Lovely memories

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,209

My Mum used to light the sparklers from the gas hob - and writing your name was a must (gave my girls sparklers last Friday - and it was still the first thing they did.  Some things never change.  The second thing they did was post pictures from their phones of themselves with said sparklers.  Some things change beyond recognition !!).

Catherine Wheels on the trellis, and finding your scarves, hats and gloves for the first time that winter are also very strong memories.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I used to sit in the window and wish it to get dark so we could get our wellies on and go out. Must add, not that's she on the forum, but M did make parkin.image In later years when we had our own bonfire and friends came we had the previously mentioned food, plus leg of pork ripped into bits and we behaved like cannibals.

Right off to wave a sparkler, the rain seems to have stopped. Enjoy memories all who read this. Might not be back later as cider to be drunkimage

Oh no! Those fireworks I bought are going to be set off in MY GARDEN !!!!!!!!
    Mulled wine, don't forget the mulled wine
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

my mums birthday would have been today .. bless her .1960s big bonfire with the folks in our street , the kids would spend weeks geting paper and wood . and the mums would make a guy . dads would  get big fallen branchs from the woods .,spuds  trecle toffie  and my first taste of whiskey in tea. simple happy daysimage

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Remember the year the fire had been lit,the guy was sitting on the top and my Dad suddenly launched himself  between the flames at the guy.........he had just spotted that my cousin had put his best shoes on the guy instead of the intended old bootsimage

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

We used to have fireworks in the back garden too, and sparklers image

My most interesting bonfire night was at a friends when I was a teenager (clearly not that long ago! Lol image) We were using their next door neighbours garden for the fireworks and bonfire as they were away (permission had been granted). Unfortunately the boy in charge put all the fireworks in a cardboard box next to the bonfire image. Bet you can guess what happened next . . . . we ended up legging it down the garden being chased by all manner of fireworks! image We did laugh about it once we had all calmed down. All we had left was indoor fireworks, and let me tell you, they are pants! image

Best display ever is the free display put on in Greenwich. They are amazing! Def worth a trip if you can manage to get there image